So it is time of the year again to do the Christmas fruits soak and I no longer fret over using exact proportions recommended by the recipe. I used all the fruits I bought or have left over in the fridge and I did not even measure the citrus peel, which is needed in lesser amount than the recipe, oh well… I think it’ll work as long as my fruits to batter proportion is right, right?
This year’s fruit soak.
Check out the gold flakes!
- 500g sultanas
- 250g golden raisins
- 250g cranberries
- 100g citrus peel
- 90g candied ginger
- 350 ml cinnamon liquor with edible gold flakes!!
- 120 ml orange juice
- 4 sticks of cinnamon
- Mix the fruits with a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the liquor and the orange juice to the fruits and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixed fruits into an airtight container and chill in fridge.
- Shake the container everyday to mix the fruits through.
- Soak for about 2 to 3 weeks before using to make the Christmas fruit cake.
I usually bake the Christmas fruit cakes at least a few days in advance so I have time to feed the cake with more alcohol and for the cake to mature. The cakes taste better given time to mature. Cannot wait to use the boozy fruits soak for the Christmas cake!