The is a light sponge came out fluffy, light and soft. I’ll try again some time soon.
(Makes two 6-inch rounds)
- 140g egg whites
- 70g egg yolks
- 70g cake flour
- 70g and 25g sugar
- 16ml corn or canola oil
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a baking pan with baking paper and preheat the oven at 170 degree C.
- Whisk eggs and 25g of sugar till light and fluffy.
- Whisk egg whites in a mixer fitted with a balloon whisk till frothy.
- Add sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat till medium peak.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the meringue.
- Sift flour into the yolk and meringue mixture and fold to combine.
- Add a spoonful of batter to the oil and mix through. This is to allow the resultant mixture to mix easily into the rest of the batter in the mixing bowl.
- Fold the oil batter into the rest of the better.
- Pour into prepared baking pans and bake in a preheated oven of 170 degree C for about 25 min.
- To test if the cake is ready, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if the skewer comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before use.
We used this genoise sponge to a mousse cake. Quite a nice basic genoise sponge and this is the to-go to cake if you want a light and fluffy cake.