This chocolate cake has a dense texture, but is very moist has a very rich chocolate flavour which is enhanced by the expresso in the recipe. This is suitable for layering or use enjoying it on its own. I used it to do the raspberry chocolate torte.
(Makes a 6-inch round)
- 140g caster sugar
- 100g top flour
- 60g unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60ml hot coffee
- 60ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- Line a 6-inch cake tin with baking paper and preheat the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and cut the butter into the flour with the paddle attachment working at medium speed. The resultant mixture should resemble fine sand.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, mix hot coffee, milk, egg and vanilla extract together and pour into the flour mixture all at once with the mixer working at medium speed until the mixture is pale and thick. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before assembly or this can be baked and frozen until ready to use.