Some time last week, I was rather ill and had no appetite, so I just chose a granola bar from Gastronomia and it was so expensive, but it was tasty! Inspired, I tried to make it too. It was obviously non-baked and citrusy, so I searched the internet for a non-baked citrus bar recipe and found one from bowlofdelicious and adapted the recipe from there. It is quite adapted because I basically used whatever I had in the fridge.
(Makes an 8 inch square that can be cut into smaller squares)
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup lightly toasted almond flakes
- 1 cup melon seeds
- 1 cup citrus peel
- 0.5 cup honey
- 113g butter (I will use 105g (0.5 cup) of coconut oil the next time)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Line the square pan with baking paper, covering up the sides as well.
- Heat the butter, honey and salt in a saucepan and let it simmer till it thickens a little.
- Add the rolled oats and stir to coat.
- Add the dried fruits and nuts and stir to coat.
- Allow the mixture to heat for a brief moment and remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepare square pan and place a baking paper on top.
- Using your hand, press the mixture together using some force as evenly as possible.
- Chill this in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Cut into desired squares and wrap them in plastic so they are easy to grab and eat.
The next time I try this, I will skip the butter and add coconut oil instead.