The ondeh fever is still going strong and since this local flavour is so popular and delicious, the coconut filling, which is a common ingredients used and given how versatile it is, it is a useful sweets to have in the fridge. I use this in cakes, puddings and even tried them in tarts. Here’s the simple recipe.
- 200g gula melaka, cut into small pieces
- 150ml water
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- Heat the gula melaka and the water in a saucepan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes till the solution thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding the coconut and mix to combine.
- Leave to chill in fridge till ready to use.