Over the years, I have made some bakes annual, like for Christmas, I bake Christmas Cake and for CNY, I bake rosette pineaapple tarts. This year, I also baked some rose, cranberry and pistachio shortbread. I think I might be able to squeeze in some florentines. Note to self, for 3kg worth of pineapple paste, I made 5 times the portion stated below.
(Makes 67 ten grams rounds)
550g pineapple paste
360g all purpose flour
250g unsalted butter at room temperature
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp corn flour
A pinch of salt
For egg wash
1 egg yolk
1. Preheat the oven at 160 degrees. Sift the all purpose flour and corn flour together and set aside.
2. Beat the butter and icing sugar till light and fluffy.
3. Add the yolks one at a time, beating to combine after each add. Add the salt and beat to combine.
4. Add the sifted flour in 3 additions, folding to combine in between each add.
5. Roll the dough into a disc and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes so the dough is easier to handle.
6. Divide the chilled dough into 10g each.
7. Divide the pineapple paste into 9g each.
8. Flatten the dough with your hands and wrap the pineapple paste in between to get a round ball.
9. Crimp the tart into a rose or bake it plain round as it is.
10. Egg wash the tarts by brushing the top.
11. Bake the tarts in a preheated oven of 160 degrees for 15 minutes and then increase the heat to 180 degrees and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
It was back breaking trying to finish all 10 bottles, but it was well worth the effort! Am looking forward to giving to my close friends.