I have always wanted to try poached pear and finally got down to making some. These can be used to make individual poached pear strudels, elegant and delicious. Here’s the recipe from Anna Olson.
(Makes 12 halves)
- 600g caster sugar
- 6 pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bottle red wine (I used a Shiraz)
- In a pot, bring wine, sugar, star anise and cinammon sticks to a simmer.
- Add the pears and place a parchment paper directly on time of the surface of the liquid and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- The pears are ready when they pierce readily with a fork.
- Allow the pears to cool completely in the liquid and leave to chill in fridge, preferably overnight.
These can be served chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and drizzled with some of the poaching liquid. The poaching liquid freezes well as a sorbet though it was too sweet for my liking.