This makes a light mousse that can be used for mousse cakes, an element in an entremet or even in a cupped dessert. You can also change out the flavour by using different fruit puree. I used this in the raspberry chocolate torte.
- 140g caster sugar
- 500ml whipping cream
- 250ml raspberry puree
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the cream to soft peak, stir in the vanilla extract and chill till ready to use.
- Bloom gelatin in the cold water and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a large metal bowl, whisk egg yolk, whole egg, sugar and lemon juice till combined. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk constantly until frothy and doubled in volume.
- Remove the bowl from heat and add in the bloomed gelatin, mixing well and ensuring that the gelatin is melted completely. I returned the bowl back to heat to ensure the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add in the raspberry puree and fold it through the yolk mixture.
- Fold the chilled whipped cream in 2 additions.