This is a really easy shortbread dough which I use to make cream tart cakes and you cannot believe how easy it is to make and how versatile this is too. The ingredients needed are also very few and it can be made ahead and frozen for use later. Here’s the recipe.
(makes enough to make a 3 layered cream tart)
- 450g plain flour
- 300g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- Optional: 1 lemon zest / vanilla
- Cream sugar and butter in mixer till pale and fluffy.
- Add zest and mix to combine.
- Add flour in 3 additions, ensuring mixing stops once the flour is mixed in to prevent over mixing.
- Turn the dough out into cling foils and flatten to a disc.
- Chill in fridge for at least an hour before using. This can also be made ahead and frozen for use later.