This cream can be used as fillings for any choux pastry etc.
(Makes enough to fill four 5-inch Paris Brest)
- 350g milk (divided into 300g and 50g approximately)
- 250g butter
- 120g sugar (to be divided approximately in half)
- 60g egg yolks
- 60g custard powder
- half a vanilla pod
- Boil about 300g of milk, half the sugar and vanilla bean in a pot.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk yolks, the remaining sugar, 50g of milk and custard powder till well mixed.
- Drizzle the boiling mix from 1 into the yolk mix slowly to prevent cooking the egg yolks and mix well. This is called tempering.
- Return the mix to medium heat and cook till lava consistently, stirring continuously throughout.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and whisk with hand whisk till smooth and fluffy.
- Place a cling foil on the paste to prevent a skin from forming on the paste and leave to chill in fridge until ready to use.