I’ve been exploring floral decorations and came across some floral decorations made from chocolates and I thought I’ll give them a try. Quite noob still, but I think I see potential in these alternatives to real flowers. For the cake base, I did white chocolate mud cake and to balance the sweetness, I made passion fruit curd to add some zing to the cake.
(Makes a 3 layered 7 inch cake)
For the white chocolate mud cake
- 450g top flour
- 350g castor sugar
- 300g white chocolates
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 300g unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp and 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the white chocolate ganache
- 700g White chocolates
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Line the base of the cake pan with baking paper and preheat the oven at 160 degrees.
- Heat water and butter in a saucepan till boiling and remove from heat.
- Add the white chocolates and stir till all the chocolate has melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Pour the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and chocolate mixture into the well and stir with a wooden spoon till well combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake tin and bake in preheated oven for about 1.5 hours. Test the readiness of the cake by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is baked.
- Leave to cool completely before assembling.
- In the mean time, prepare the passion fruit curd and the white chocolate ganache.
- Heat the whipping cream in a mixing bowl placed over a pot of simmering water.
- When the whipping cream is hot enough, place the white chocolates in the cream and stir till melted.
- Leave the ganache to cool for a few hours and it will be a spreadable consistency. Colour the ganache as desired.
For the passion fruit curd, refer to Passion Fruit Curd
For the white chocolate flowers, refer to White Chocolate Flower
- Cut the cake into 3 layers
- Place the bottom layer on a cake board and pipe a ‘dam’ of white chocolate ganache around the cake. Spread a layer of passion fruit curd within the dam of white chocolate and place the second layer of cake on top.
- Repeat step 2 and place the last layer on top.
- Frost the cake with the white chocolate ganache and decorate with the white chocolate flower.